Pages

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

On DVD: 'The Uninvited'

'The Uninvited' (PG-13) **1/2

Writers: Craig Rosenberg, Doug Miro, Carlo Bernard
Directors: The Guard Brothers
Starring: Elizabeth Banks, Emily Browning, Arielle Kebbel, David Starthairn

"The Uninvited" is an interesting thriller that had me going and involved and I thought I was going to see a bad movie but I was wrong. This movie is like a second cousin to another thriller this year called "Orphan" which I loved. They both have an outrageous twist at the end and some goofy scares but "Orphan" wasn't afraid to go over the top but I think this one is a little scared and didn't want to push that R rating. The acting is good especially the two sisters played well by Emily Browning and Arielle Kebbel. I won't give away twists but the movie is basically two girls who lost their mother in a fire. They now live with their father and he is involved now with a younger woman who used to be the nurse for the mother. Well the girls think that the younger woman wants to kill them so she can have daddy to herself. Of course there is more to it than that as the movie ends on a "Sixth Sense" type note. Emily Banks is awesome here and she is going to become a major star soon. She has a great face for the screen and she can be funny, a bitch or terrifying and you sense she is having fun here. This is not a bad little thriller but I think it plays it too safe at times like it was geared towards 13 year old girls but I think adults and all audiences will appreciate it's craft. It was one of those movies where I dreaded to watch but found out it was actually surprisingly good.

No comments:

Post a Comment