Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' (11)

"The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' (11) (R) (3 1/2 STARS)

Writer: Steve Zaillian based on the trilogy of novels Written By Stieg Larsson
Director: David Fincher
Starring: Daniel Craig, Rooney Mara, Stellan Skarsgard, Christopher Plummer, Joely Richardson, Robin Wright, Steven Berkoff

In the arts there is a feeling that movies adapted from books are never as good as the books. There is also a feeling that American movies adapted from foreign movies are never as deep or great as their foreign counterparts. I think it is all foolish and I don't care. Acting carries the day in David Fincher's adaptation of the first in a trilogy of books by Stieg Larsson. I have not read the books but I have seen the Swedish original so I wasn't surprised by the story in anyway at anytime. That is the drawback I think but does that mean I didn't like the American version better or at least equally?
I do think that moviegoers that love the original will be set back by the opening credit sequence with the jazzed up Trent Reznor version of Led Zeppelin's "The Immigrant Song" and that amused me.

Well I will report to you that I like both versions equally though the acting is better in Fincher's version. Knowing the story already, even with Fincher's tweaks, I wasn't enamored by the story this time. I didn't see that much of a difference. I do love the relationship between Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander better in this version. That is due to the amazing, powerful and quietly intense performance by Rooney Mara as Lizbeth. I do love the original performance by Noomi Rapace but I was knocked over by Mara's performance. Her and Daniel Craig have great chemistry that keeps building and when Lizbeth saves him in the end I was cheering.

The Lizbeth character to me ranks up there with Ridley from "Aliens" and Clarice Starling from "The Silence of the Lambs" as three of the strongest women characters in books or movies and my three favorites. Rooney Mara has a sure handle of the role and does it justice. I never thought the Mikeal character was that interesting, Lisbeth makes him a better man. Daniel Craig does a very good job but Mara's give and take with Craig make the characters more special. I don't need to explain the plot to most of you and Fincher makes little changes but not enough that I noticed them that much. I think I love the Lisbeth character better than the story. The story is just pretty much your average serial killer type story.

Rooney Mara gives a breakout performance and like Elizabeth Olsen in "Martha Marcy May Marlene" she will become one of our best actresses. She reigns in the performance and is always quietly intense and gives her the power she should possess. She might seem an abused woman who can't do anything about it but we know she can kick major ass. Mara gave a small memorable performance in "The Social Network" and now seeing her in this movie I am extremely impressed by her range. In the original Swedish movies I really liked the first movie but didn't care for the next two. I think there is a better chance that if there are more American movies that they have better potential because of Rooney Mara and her chemistry with Daniel Craig.

David Fincher is one of my favorite directors and I was wondering why he would make this retread but I am glad he did. The filmmaking is better in this version with the beautiful cinematography and subtly beautiful score by Trent Reznor. Fincher made what I think is the definitive serial killer movie in "Zodiac" which might be my favorite movie in the last 11 years. Fincher has added style to this movie but despite what critics say he gives it an extra special push and depth. A lesser director might have turned this into a cheap serial killer movie rip off of the original movie.

There is another outstanding performance here by Stellan Skarsgard (Breaking the Waves). He plays a nefarious and evil man but he plays the character with respect. He is subtle and finds a way to crawl under your skin and during the movie you can never see him tipping his hand and he is effective. David Fincher's "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" is not better than the original movie but some things are better. There is better acting, more chemistry between Lizbeth and Mikael and the movie looks better and draws you in with it's artistry and subtle intensity.

No comments:

Post a Comment