Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

On DVD: 'Remember Me'

'Remember Me' (10) (PG-13) (2 stars)

Writer: Will Fetters
Director: Allen Coulter
Starring: Robert Pattinson, Emilie DeRavin, Chris Cooper, Pierce Brosnan, Lena Olin, Ruby Jerins, Tate Ellington

I really started to get annoyed with "Remember Me" half way through but a few performances kept me interested. The only problem is the lead performance to me left a lot to desire. Robert Pattinson was okay in the first "Twilight" movie but here playing an American he has lost his footing. I also didn't like the cheap shot at the end of the movie which I felt was shameless manipulation. The movie is a pretentious love story about two people I really couldn't care a lot about after awhile. Pattinson plays Tyler who is estranged from his father played by Pierce Brosnan. Tyler always shows up reeking of alcohol and always seems out of it. He loves his little sister and is angry when the father ignores her. The father is one of those typical neglectful, business fathers who is too busy to show he cares. Tyler is beaten by a cop when he resists arrest and the cop turns out to have a beautiful daughter. When Tyler finds her he goes after her and tries to strike up a relationship to get back at the father. When he falls in love with her it really gets complicated. The cop and daughter have their own family baggage to deal with also. The girl is played by Emilie DeRavin (Claire from "Lost") and she is very good here and beautiful to look at. I didn't care for this movie at all but I did like Chris Cooper and Pierce Brosnan who are always so good and bring depth to even stereotypical characters like these. Chris Cooper is one of our best actors and he really tries to bring something to this role. I hated the ending and I felt that Pattinson was trying to hard and over acted. I felt he was trying to audition for a role in a remake of "Rebel Without a Cause" with his brooding, yelling and over emoting. If he really wants to branch out from the "Twilight" movies he needs to dial it down a notch.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete