Pages

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Snavely Classic: 'About Last Night...'

'About Last Night...' (R) (4 stars)

(Top 5 movies filmed in Chicago) (Top 50 movies of the 80's)

Writers: Tim Kazurinsky and Denise DeClue based on David Mamet play "Sexual Perversity in Chicago"
Director: Edward Zwick
Starring: Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, Jim Belushi, Elizabeth Perkins, Megan Mullally, Catherine Keener, Tim Kazurinsky

I revisit "About Last Night..." every year around July 4th because it is one of my favorite romantic comedies I have ever seen. Originally back on July 4th weekend in 1986 I did not want to see this movie because I thought it would be really bad. It turned out to be a movie I have seen more than 50 times and a movie that makes me cry for some reason. It is one of the funniest movies of the 80's, has one of the best soundtracks and has surprisingly beautiful moments of romance. I have not seen many movies that have nailed perfectly what it is like to be in a relationship like this movie. It also has performances by Rob Lowe and Demi Moore which are the best of their careers. This movie showcases the fact that Demi Moore is a powerful and touching actress. It also shows that Rob Lowe had it in him all the time to be a great actor, look at his stellar television acting career now! I think Jim Belushi has wasted most of his career on material beneath him and I am not a big fan. His comic performance in this movie is pure gold, one of the best of the 80's and very funny. He shares the best lines with Elizabeth Perkins who is also very great here. Their comic chemistry is some of the best Hollywood has ever produced. This movie did not do real well at the box office and not many embrace it but I will defend it to death because I know what I love and I love this movie! Perkins, Belushi and the screenplay are all Oscar worthy and the director would become a television writer transformed into a great movie director. Edward Zwick created "thirty something" for television and after "About Last Night" he would go on to make "Glory". The screenplay by Tim Kazurinsky and Denise DeClue is flawless, funny, touching and powerful. It feels true at every moment and anyone that has gone through the ups and downs of relationships can identify with this movie. I identify with this movie more than most others and every time I watch the movie it is fresh and exciting each time. It is one of the best times I have ever had at a movie.. It is also filmed in Chicago and it uses the city beautifully, more than most filmed in Chicago. I consider it a classic because I can watch it over and over and laugh, cry and be moved by it all each time I watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment