Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

That's Just My Opinion

'These Are Our Choices?'

I won't be writing reviews in the next week because of my ten games in a row at the Friendly Confines but I thought I would comment on the releases this weekend at a theatre near you. We are so lucky this week to get a choice between two horror movies that are equally worthless in my opinion. You get to choose between a gimmick movie called 'Final Destination 3-D' and a sequel to Rob Zombie's 'Halloween' an insult of a horror remake. I saw the first Final Destination and I know I don't need to see the sequel because I think I have seen it all already. I don't even care about the 3-D because that has become a joke lately (remember 'Amityville 3-D?). The Rob Zombie remake of 'Halloween' was an ugly and needless remake. Did we really need to know the background of Michael Meyers? Did we need to have it explained to us that Michael is an evil killer because he was raised by redneck hillbillies? Zombie added so much needless crap it was ridiculous! The original 'Halloween', my favorite horror movie of all time, was beautiful, haunting, quick and scary good with minimal story. Then came the sequels with more added story and a lazier style of film making. Now we get a terrible Saw franchise with a new sequel every year. We get a remake of the worst horror movie of all time 'Friday the 13Th'. Where have all the good horror movies gone? Who will be the next creative writer to give us an original and very scary horror movie? The choices now are so slim and boring that our two choices for horror in one weekend are two losers. I haven't seen them but I can see no way of me enjoying them at all. I am not a horror movie prude. I do love a good scary horror movie but the only good ones I have seen are jokey ones like 'Orphan' and 'Drag Me To Hell'. In 1991 there was 'Silence of the Lambs' and it brought a new energy to the horror genre. We need a truly scary and groundbreaking horror movie to wake us up out of this horror stupor.

1 comment:

  1. oooh. Silence of the Lambs. Shudder!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete