Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Old Favorites Revisited-'Excalibur'

First of all I would like to explain my star rating to you. As my idol Roger Ebert has said star ratings are so arbitrary. To me they are just a guide because I have given movies 3 stars that turn out to be on my best list. I also have changed my mind and bumped up star ratings after more thought or revisiting certain movies. It mostly helps me form my year end lists. My highest rating is 4 stars and I think 5 stars is a ridiculous rating so I don't use that. Here they are:

0 stars-Complete garbage and no redeeming qualities.
1 star-1 1/2-terrible .
2 -fair, a few redeeming qualities.
2 1/2-almost recommended but better for a DVD rental on a rainy day.
3-good, recommended.
3 1/2-excellent
4-highest rating, one of the best movies I have seen. Outstanding.

From time to time I will be going back in time and giving you reviews of old movies that I think are worth a look or should be burned at the stake again. Here is my first old review of one of my favorites.


Excalibur (R)-****

Writers: Rosco Pallenberg and John Boorman
Director: John Boorman
Starring: Helen Mirren, Nicol Williamson, Nigel Terry, Liam Neeson, Patrick Stewart, Gabriel Byrne

When I heard that Bryan Singer was remaking Excalibur(the best movie about King Arthur) I had to look back at one of my favorite movies. I am not too excited that it is being remade because it is a flawless and powerful movie. Excalibur is very cold, dark, violent and very British and I love it for those reasons. Why are most of the medieval movies I see colorful and bright and happy? Hate to break it to you but the Middle Ages weren't a picnic in the park. This movie gets it right with great characters and acting mostly by future stars in the making. Liam Neeson, Helen Mirren(super hot then,still hot now) and Gabriel Byrne are in it when no one knew who they were. The cinematography is lush, stark and beautiful and the action is crisp and well directed by John Boorman('Deliverance' and 'Hope & Glory'). This is a beautiful and grand epic with intrigue and one great scene after another. The battle scenes are also gritty, bloody and enthralling. This movie manages to be beautiful and grungy at the same time. Other film makers have tackled the King Arthur legend and the worst is 'First Knight' with Sean Connery which is soapy, light and romantic. How anyone can depict that period as such is really fooling themselves. Excalibur has also light moments supplied by Nicol Williamson as Merlin. He is hilarious and is the comic relief in a dark, gritty and wonderful movie. Bryan Singer, please don't screw this up!

No comments:

Post a Comment