Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Times of Harvey Milk and Milk

'The Times of Harvey Milk' (84) ***1/2

Director: Rob Epstein

'Milk' (R) (08) ****

Writer: Dustin Lance Black (Academy Award)
Director: Gus Van Sant
Starring: Sean Penn (Academy Award), James Franco, Emile Hirsch, Alison Pill, Diego Luna, Josh Brolin

I wanted to revisit the flawless bio-pic 'Milk' before I do my official year end list in a few weeks. I wanted to because I had never seen the fine 1984 documentary 'The Times of Harvey Milk' which won an Academy Award in 1985 for best documentary. I wanted to see how much the 2008 Gus Van Sant movie got right or took from the documentary. At the end credits 'Milk' mentions thanks to Epstein and the makers of their film for their input. After seeing the doc I realize how flawless and great 'Milk' is. In fact it is turns out to be even better the second time. 'The Times of Harvey Milk' is a very straight forward telling of Milk's life starting with his origins and pre politics and his eventual winning of San Francisco City Supervisor and his Gay Rights bill and his opposition to Proposition 6. The documentary has great talking head interviews of those who knew Harvey well. It is a simple telling of events in his life and we do get to find out a lot about the man from the interviews. It is a fine movie and I learned a lot but I got more out of the 08 film. Though as a stand alone movie it informs and makes us feel and that is what a good documentary film does.

2008's 'Milk' though I felt was more powerful and I cried a lot during it. That is due to the deserving Academy Award winning performance by Sean Penn and Gus Van Sant's poetic direction. Before I saw the documentary I thought Penn was amazing. Now after seeing the documentary Penn turns out to give one of the best performances ever on screen. He might not look exactly like him but the way he inhabits the real man with mannerisms and voice he becomes Harvey Milk. It is a tricky performance to pull off because Milk was a fascinating man but he does it flawlessly. We are talking about a man who I think is a major voice in American politics and history. To me Milk's assassination was equal in impact to the Kennedy's and Martin Luther Kings' assassinations. His was the only voice in America that Gays and Lesbians had especially at that time. There would be no push for same sex marriages now and no chance for voices to be heard if Harvey Milk did not pave the way. Penn is so amazing as Milk that you forget after awhile that it is Penn and that is more sure after I saw the documentary.

Gus Van Sant has made two of my favorite movies in 'To Die For' and 'Drugstore Cowboy' but this is easily his best film. The recreations of the Castro district and the 70's are flawless and the movie has not one false moment. I think his movie also does a better job of capturing Milk's assassin Dan White here played in a pitch perfect performance by Josh Brolin. Also very good are James Franco, Emile Hirsch and Alison Pill in supporting roles. This is a beautiful movie that captures Milk's voice and impact in the Gay community with tender scenes and many powerful scenes. Seeing it a second time I cried a lot during the movie because I realized what Milk did for many that could not be heard. His compassion and devotion and love affected many people and this movie captures that tenderly and powerfully. This is a movie full of care, attention to detail, passion and it comes from the heart. You can tell Van Sant and Penn poured their souls into this. It is all captured in this movie which is one of the best of 2008 and of the decade. I urge you to check out the documentary before you see 'Milk' and you will also realize what Van Sant has done more fully.

1 comment:

  1. I thought "Milk" was excellent too, but I haven't seen the documentary, so now I think I will do that as well, Vince. Thanks for the recommendation. Some might argue Penn won his Oscar because Mickey Rourke's antics after "The Wrestler" bothered Academy voters, but I think it was indeed a better performance, particularly in Penn inhabiting the character. Likewise, Black's script wisely wove together CBS News footage with the story to give it a verisimilitude few other dramatic movies have ever achieved. (And it's poignant now seeing Walter Cronkite in his element in those clips too.) Truly great movies impress you even more on second (or later) viewings - glad to see "Milk" has done that for you at least, my friend.

    ReplyDelete